Topic – knowing God by His Name
Prov. 18:10, The name of the LORD is a strong tower; The righteous runs to it and is safe and set on high (above evil).
Exodus 20:7, Psalm 9:10, You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain (that is, irreverently, in false affirmations or in ways that impugn the character of God); for the LORD will not hold guiltless nor leave unpunished the one who takes His name in vain (disregarding its reverence and its power).
This is a topic many Christians are not paying real attention to. We forgot that the name of the Lord is a strong tower and the righteous run into and are safe. Proverbs 18:10. Also knowing the name of God as Jehovah Rapha, gives the sick the confidence to know and believe that God heals. He heals supernaturally whenever He chooses. Oftentimes, He can use doctors, nurses, or His real prophets and apostles.
It is so amazing to know and understand what the name we carry is.⁶The Name of our God tells everything about His greatness and the greatness of His power. That He is the possessor of heaven and earth.
1) Why is it important to study the Name of God? We study the Names because knowing the different names of God
– help us understand more of His power, wonders, and might, character. They describe what He does, how He acts, and how He moves in our lives. They also describe how He responds toward us as His people. And as Psalm 9 tells us, knowing God’s name helps us trust Him.
2) How many names of God do you know? Here are some of them:
NAMES OF GOD
– El Shaddai el shad-di: Lord God Almighty
– El Elyon el el-yone: The Most High God
– Adonai ad-o-noy: Lord, Master
– Yahweh yah-weh: Lord, Jehovah
– Jehovah Nissi yeh-ho-vaw’ nis-see: The Lord My Banner
– Jehovah-Raah yeh-ho-vaw’ raw-aw: The Lord My Shepherd
– Jehovah Rapha yeh-ho-vaw’ raw-faw: The Lord That Heals
– Jehovah Shammah yeh-ho-vaw’ shawm’-maw: The Lord Is There
– Jehovah Tsidkenu yeh-ho-vaw’ tsid-kay’-noo: The Lord Our Righteousness
– Jehovah Mekoddishkem yeh-ho-vaw’ M-qadash: The Lord Who Sanctifies You
– El Olam el o-lawm: The Everlasting God
– Elohim el-o-heem’ God
Qanna kan-naw: Jealous
– Jehovah Jireh yeh-ho-vaw’ yir-eh. The Lord Will Provide
– Jehovah Shalom yeh-ho-vaw’ shaw-lome: The Lord Is Peace
– Jehovah Sabaoth yeh-ho-vaw’ se ba’ôt: The Lord of Hosts these are some of the names of God. Knowing them with revelation builds our faith and confidence in God.
3) Why should we use God’s name?
We use God’s name because the Bible says in Proverbs 18:10, “The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it and is safe.”
Actually, the Names of God are windows through which His power and character are being seen and felt.
This God is a Creator. A powerful God who created everything out of nothing.
As you learn the significance of each name, you’ll be awestruck by the Lord’s magnificence, and your heart compelled to worship and praise Him.
Glory to God!